[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Patrick J. Ward has satisfied the necessary requirements to be nominated by petition as a candidate for election as bishop suffragan, according to an Oct. 27 e-mail from the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
Ward presently serves as interim rector of Christ Church in the Riverdale section of the Bronx.
A petition process for submitting additional candidates closed Oct. 26.
On Oct. 7, the diocese the Standing Committee of the diocese announced a slate of five nominees to stand for election as the diocese’s bishop suffragan.
- The Rev. Kim L. Coleman, rector, Trinity Episcopal Church, Arlington, Virginia;
- The Rev. Canon Susan C. Harriss, rector, Christ’s Church, Rye, New York;
- The Rev. Kathleen L. Liles, rector, Christ & Saint Stephen’s Church, New York, New York;
- The Rev. Allen K. Shin, rector, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Huntington, Long Island, New York; and
- The Rev. Mauricio J. Wilson, rector, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Oakland, California.
The nominees will participate in a visit to the diocese Nov. 12-15, during which time they will meet with clergy and lay people of the diocese.
The bishop suffragan election is scheduled to take place on Dec. 7.
The bishop suffragan will succeed the Rt. Rev. Catherine Roskam who retired in 2011 after serving the diocese for 15 years.