[Episcopal Church Office of Public Affairs press release] The United Thank Offering of the Episcopal Church awarded 34 grants for a total of $1,214,447.51 for the mission and ministry of the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion. The grant recipients were approved by the Executive Council, meeting June 9 – June 11 in San Juan, Puerto Rico (Diocese of Puerto Rico).
The United Thank Offering is a ministry of the Episcopal Church to promote thankfulness and mission in the whole Church. Known worldwide as UTO, the United Thank Offering grants are awarded for projects that address human needs and help alleviate poverty, both domestically and internationally in The Episcopal Church.
The 2017 grants were awarded to projects in 35 dioceses, which included 27 dioceses located within the United States, eight non-domestic dioceses, five companion dioceses, one United Thank Offering internship, and Global Partnerships funding for missionaries.
United Thank Offering – Julia Chester Emery Internship: Missional Voices
- Diocese of Texas: To continue and expand the Julia Chester Emery United Thank Offering Internship. This project seeks to aid in the personal and professional development of a young woman interested in lay ministry, by providing intentional mentoring and leadership experience through Missional Voices and United Thank Offering particularly in the areas of church marketing and development: $39,840.00
Global Partnerships – Gifts for Missionaries
- Each year the United Thank Offering provides funding as a gift for missionaries serving overseas as a reminder of the Church’s historic commitment to women missionaries: $9,918.59
Recipients and projects
- Diocese of Alaska – Fairbanks Climate Action Coalition, Fairbanks, Alaska: $5,000.00
- Diocese of Alaska with the Companion Diocese of Navajoland – Building Out the Jesus Movement in Navajoland, Farmington, NM: $29,000.00
- Diocese of Alaska, with Presiding Bishop Michael Curry – Translating the Book of Common Prayer into Modern Gwich’in (Athabascan), Fairbanks, Alaska: $40,000.00
- Diocese of Albany – St. Paul’s Community and Ministry Center, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Bloomville, New York: $49,121.00
- Diocese of Arizona with the Companion Diocese of Jerusalem – Renovating a School Facility at Savior School in Jordan, Zarka, Kingdom of Jordan: $69,916.00
- Diocese of Arkansas – Wash Day Ministry, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Hot Springs, Arkansas: $21,250.00
- Diocese of Colorado – St. Andrew’s Tiny House Village, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Denver, Colorado: $30,000.00
- Diocese of Connecticut – St. Paul’s Common Good Garden, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Southington, Connecticut: $10,500.00
- Diocese of Georgia – Epiphany Community Organizing and New Evangelism in the Diocese of Georgia, Savannah, Georgia: $37,500.00
- Diocese of Gitega – Community Center for Sustainable Reconciliation, Anglican Communion Province of Burundi, Burundi: $45,924.00
- Diocese of Kansas – Sending out the 70: Equipping Lay Evangelists, Trinity Episcopal Church, Lawrence, Kansas: $20,450.00
- Diocese of Kurunagala – Igniting the Flame of Hope, Church of Ceylon, Sri Lanka: $35,548.00
- Diocese of Michigan – Iglesia Santa Teresa y San Juan, Detroit, Michigan: $50,000.00
- Diocese of Navajoland – Rides for Navajoland, Farmington, New Mexico: $60,410.00
- Diocese of Nevada – A Van for St. Mary’s, St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, Nixon, Nevada: $16.251.88
- Diocese of Newark – Parent Education Workshops, All Saints Episcopal Church/All Saints Community Service and Development Corporation, Hoboken, New Jersey: $27,029.00
- Diocese of New York with the Companion Diocese of Haiti – New York Haiti Project, Mantel, Haiti: $59,038.00
- Diocese of New Hampshire – Establish an Eco-Curacy at Church in the Woods, Church of the Woods Episcopal Church, Canterbury, New Hampshire: $24,221.00
- Diocese of Northern Indiana – EDNIN Community Engagement Project, South Bend, Indiana: $50,000.00
- Diocese of Ohio – Bellwether Farm, Equipping Leaders for a sustainable Future, Bellwether Farm Camp, Retreat and Education Center, Wakeman, Ohio: $53,667.00
- Diocese of Olympia – Edible Hope Kitchen, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Seattle, Washington: $21,864.19
- Diocese of Pittsburgh with the Companion Diocese of Uganda – St. Andrew’s Secondary School Physical Plant Development, Buwologoma, Uganda: $72,920.00
- Diocese of San Diego – MAKE Garden Cafe Project, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, San Diego, California: $35,000.00
- Diocese of San Diego with the Companion Diocese of Western Mexico – Indigenous Ministry Project, San Luis Potosi, Mexico: $17,783.00
- Diocese of San Joaquin – Food Ministries of the Episcopal Diocese of San Joaquin, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Taft and Ridgecrest, California: $6,048.00
- Diocese of Southern Ohio – CRIS Refugee Speakers Bureau, Columbus, Ohio: $1,525.00
- Diocese of the Southern Philippines – Construction of Diocesan Peace Center, Cotabato City, Philippines: $59,078.85
- Diocese of Southern Virginia – Inner City Improvement, Newport News, VA: $23,400.00
- Diocese of Spain – Emmaus House: Pamplona Youth Center for Reconciliation & Evangelism, Pamplona, Spain: $75,000.00
- Diocese of Upper South Carolina – Jasmine Road, Greenville, South Carolina: $40,500.00
- Diocese of Utah – New Gas Stoves to improve the Family Promise Experience, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, West Valley City, Utah: $1,500.00
- Diocese of West Missouri – St. Luke’s Nursing Center Quality of Life Initiative, Carthage, Missouri: $22,500.00
- Diocese of Western Michigan – Albion Community Gardens, Inc., St. James’ Episcopal Church, Albion, Michigan: $20,744.00
The United Thank Offering award funds are derived from the Ingatherings/funds/contributions received through offerings from the well-known and easily recognizable UTO Blue Box.
Members of the United Thank Offering Board are: Sandra Squires, President; Marcie Cherau, Vice President; Birdie Blake Reid, Secretary; Kathy Mank, Financial Secretary; Sherri Dietrich, Province I; Vernese Smith, Province II; Joyce Douglas, Province III; Joyce Landers, Province IV; Peg Cooper, Grants Convener, Province V; Elizabeth Campbell, Province VI; Valinda Jackson, Province VII; Barbara Schafer, Province VIII; Reina de Lopez, Province IX; Caitlyn Darnell, Young Adult Board Member; Sarah Carver, Appointed Member; Marian Luckey, Executive Council Liaison.
For more information contact the Rev. Heather Melton, Staff Officer for the United Thank Offering, firstname.lastname@example.org.