||PRIEST-IN-CHARGE / RECTOR
St Peter’s Parish and Church
New Kent County, Virginia
Diocese of Virginia
Date Posted – September 8, 2022
Job Type – Full Time
Setting – Suburban
Compensation – $90,000 (negotiable based on experience)
Diocesan Compensation Info – https://www.thediocese.net/Customer-Content/www/CMS/files/Finance_and_Management/6_2021_Compensation_Guidelines.pdf
Health Benefits – Negotiable, based on need
Housing – Housing Allowance
Is there a rectory? – No
Equity Allowance – Negotiable
Communicants in Good Standing – 258
Average Sunday Attendance – 47
Budget – $240,500
Liturgical style and practice – Traditional
St Peter’s Church, in New Kent County, Virginia is searching for a Priest-In-Charge with the skills and interest in becoming a Rector for our Parish. We are using the Priest-In-Charge method of filling this vacancy as a method to provide time and opportunities for both parties to develop a long-lasting relationship with minimal risk. The Diocese of Virginia provides strong training and personal support systems for clergy serving as a Priest-In-Charge with the objective of becoming a Rector.
- An eclectic, friendly, and caring congregation that includes a balance of all ages with diverse backgrounds and experiences; a core group of long term members that maintain continuity; and, a growing group of newer members with time and talents to contribute to the continued growth of the church.
- A rich history of over 300 years of presence in the county that provides a sense of stability and permanence which attracts visitors and new members; in a current environment of high growth in the County that offers opportunities for a growing community outreach and new ministries.
- A beautiful, wooded rural campus of over 15 acres, that includes the restored church building, originally built in 1703; a separate Parish House that hosts educational facilities, church offices, a nursery and a large all-purpose room; and an outdoor, enclosed playground.
- An emphasis on Youth education and programs
- Excellent financial position with a large endowment and no mortgages or other liabilities.
- An unprecedented opportunity for sustained growth. New Kent County is the second fastest growing county in Virginia. Majority of growth will occur in large, planned communities within two miles of St Peter’s.
- Congregation recovering from pandemic-related effects.
- Wants to improve communications (technology, reporting, between individuals collaborating).
- Peter’s is transitioning from a pastoral sized church to a small program-sized with related growth areas. History of mixed quality of relationships with clergy.
- Looks forward to coaching church members in having confidence in the decision-making and operational structures inherent in an Episcopal Church (local and diocese).
- Goals of inviting people into giving money as a joy-filled ministry and not as a sign of pleasure/displeasure; and, enacting year round Stewardship in its full meaning and methods.
- Repositioning to use rich history as a platform for future growth.
- Placing younger age cohorts into leadership positions in all activities of the church.
Seeking a clergyperson with:
- Strong interpersonal skills: being approachable, willing to accept unique attitudes and characteristics of our congregation and the ability to guide us through necessary changes.
- Strong leader with compassion, high energy level, a love of history, and an ability to communicate with all ages to create a long-term vision for St. Peter’s; and, a willingness to demonstrate that vision through frequent, active engagement in the community at large.
- Emotionally intelligent, with a strong commitment to personal spirituality and ability to help others in their spiritual growth and commitment to the church.
- Experience in office administration and personnel management.
The Rev. Shirley Smith Graham, email@example.com, 804-622-3180
Jess Fowler, Senior Warden, firstname.lastname@example.org, (804) 898-0378
Sheila Mitchell, Treasurer, email@example.com, (804) 366-7297