||St. Mary’s-in-Tuxedo is a historic Episcopal church located within the gates of the charming village of Tuxedo Park, New York. The church is the spiritual heart of the community, primarily serving Tuxedo and Sloatsburg, though drawing members from the greater area. We are located one hour north of New York City on the west side of the Hudson River, just north of the New Jersey suburbs of Ramsey and Ridgewood, on the Port Jervis line.
We are looking for a part-time organist and choirmaster to lead, contribute, and collaborate in a tradition of quality choral and organ music. Candidates must have knowledge of the sacred choral canon of the western Church, hymns, chant, organ repertoire, and Episcopal/Anglican liturgical practices. This part-time position averages 12-15 hours each week.
The choir consists of 4 paid section leaders along with a core group of 4 to 6 dedicated volunteers. They sing at the 10am Sunday Mass from September through June, with rehearsals preceding the service. During the summer, the organist supports congregational singing and occasional soloists at the 10am Sunday Mass. The Austin pipe organ was installed in 1973 and consists of three manuals and thirty-two ranks. There is a Steinway grand piano in the church and a Steinway upright in the choir room.
Our talented choir hopes to expand their repertoire and skills under the direction of a capable leader who will inspire their passion for sacred music and share in the Rector’s vision for excellence in music and liturgy. In addition to the senior choir, we want to encourage active participation by children and youth in the music program.
● Plan music for the entire year in consultation with the Rector
● Play and direct music at the 10am Sunday Mass
● Play and direct music at special services such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week and Easter.
● Work in collaboration with Sunday School and Preschool staff to bring music to their events and to involve children and youth musically in our Sunday worship
● Plan and play music for weddings and funerals (additional stipend provided)
● Prepare for and conduct weekly choir rehearsals on Sunday mornings, providing coaching and vocal training to maintain an excellent choir
● Engage instrumentalists as needed (e.g. brass for Easter, strings for Christmas)
● Recruit and retain talented section leaders
● Purposefully recruit and encourage parish volunteers to become choir members
● Develop clear guidelines and expectations for choir members
● Organize occasional concerts and other musical events
● Ensure instruments and music library are well maintained
● Utilize social media, parish newsletter and G-Suite tools to communicate and collaborate with staff members as well as the broader community
● Be a supportive member of the church staff, working together with the Rector to develop parish programs and fielding parishioners’ concerns and questions
The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong understanding of the traditions of the Church; the skillful ability to play hymns, including improvisation; proven leadership qualities; strong organizational and conducting skills; and a passion for excellent church music. A sense of humor and collegiality will be a bonus. Specific requirements include:
● Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent
● Proficiency in playing the organ and piano
● Proficiency in sight reading
● Experience in choir management and conducting
● Familiarity with Episcopal/Anglo-Catholic liturgy and Anglican chant
● Flexibility and ability to work as part of a team
● Compliance with Diocesan safe church requirements
Compensation & Benefits
● Salary of $20-25K, commensurate with experience and education
● 5% contribution to Episcopal Church retirement savings plan
● Four weeks per year of paid vacation
● Additional stipend provided for weddings and funerals
● Organist may use church facilities for teaching private students