St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church is a historic parish founded in 1871 located in downtown Tampa. The Parish seeks a talented Organist/Choirmaster to further develop our music program to surpass our current level and provide musical leadership in worship. Our church has a history of musical excellence. The music library has an extensive collection of over 700 anthems. We have a worship space which can seat up to 350 parishioners. A Fisk II/28 organ in excellent condition is the center of our service (please refer to www.saintandrewstampa.org for all organ specifications). This position includes playing for principal services, training and directing the Adult Choir, Handbell Choir, and two Children’s Choirs. The Adult Choir is composed of semi-professional, auditioned singers with eight section leaders, and volunteers. In 2014 the choir was in residence at Winchester Cathedral in England, and in 2016 led a music mission to Guatemala.
*Provide music at all principal services of the church (organ, choral, & piano) including but not limited to one weekly Sunday worship service; Services of Thanksgiving, Christmas, Lessons and Carols, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday; Weddings and Funerals (additional compensation provided).
* Develop the strength of the music program including rehearsals for Adult Choir, Children’s Choirs, and Handbell Choir.
* Select all service music. Provide details electronically for preparation of service bulletins.
* Hire professional musicians within the parameters of the parish music budget. Secure substitute musicians during the absence of the Organist/Choirmaster. Secure, recruit, and manage staff singers and student interns.
* Coordinate overall music schedule within the liturgical year.
* Prepare the annual budget reflecting the needs for the total music program to include all music and supplies, musical instrument maintenance, vestments, training, substitute organists, staff singers, and guest musician expenses.
*Arrange for maintenance and tuning of all musical instruments including the organ, four pianos, and harpsichord.
* Develop contacts and relationships with regional musicians and groups encouraging the use of Saint Andrew’s as a venue for musical and cultural events.
Education – Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Arts in Music
Experience with choral direction (minimum 5 years)
Experience in organ performance
Experience in the Episcopal/Anglican liturgical tradition
Experience with instrumental ensembles
Engaging and highly motivated self-starter with a strong commitment to excellence.
Natural ability to direct rehearsals, worship, and education programs as a spiritual leader.
Inspiring leader with choir members of all ages and skills.
Excellent communication skills; ability to work well with all members of the parish and staff.
Team player in a collaborative work environment.
Excellent organization, administrative and time management skills.
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posted: February 3, 2019
Position Title: Organist/Choirmaster
Job Function: Minister of Music
Entry Level: No
Job Type: Part-time
Job Duration: Indefinite
Minimum Education: Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Arts in Music
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Required Travel: None
Salary: $34,000 to $40,000
Number of Weekly Services: 1
Number of Weekly Rehearsals: 4
Ensembles: Adult Choir, Cherub Choir, Youth Choir, Hand Bell Choir
Number Supervised: Eight Section Leaders
Hours per week: 25 to 28 hours per week
Organ Description: Fisk II/28 Opus 105
Benefits: Four weeks of vacation