||Position: Music Minister and Organist
Hours: Average of 25 hours per week with more hours during the program year and less hours during the summer.
Salary range: Salary will be commensurate with education and experience per Association of Anglican Musician Salary Guidelines
Services and Choirs
- Responsible for planning, preparing, conducting and performing music for Sunday services: 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. (or 10:00 during Summer Season).
- Responsible for planning, preparing, conducting and performing music for all regularly scheduled Holy Days (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday).
- Direct and supervise the organization and development of church choirs who will sing in scheduled services.
- Prepare and lead choir rehearsals on a regular basis (Summer choir rehearses on Sunday mornings).
- Train and inspire choristers for the Parish Choir, Canticum Novum, Summer Choir (pick-up ensemble) and Joint Children’s Choir (rehearsals shared with the music director from the other congregation).
- Provide dynamic leadership in choir member recruitment.
- Guide and encourage the congregation when unfamiliar hymns or responses are introduced.
- Oversee the ordering of new music scores as needed.
- Adhere to copyright laws.
- Work with volunteers to care for and order new choir robes and surplices as needed.
- Maintain or oversee the maintenance of musical instruments on an as-needed basis (including tuning and repair of both organs and pianos).
- Work with volunteer music librarian to oversee the maintenance of the parish music library of more than 1,000 titles.
- Participate in planning and execution of regularly scheduled joint and interfaith services (Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, Thanksgiving).
- Maintain a responsible budget for the total music ministry.
- Keep accurate and detailed records of all phases of the parish music program.
- Observe church financial guidelines for acquisitions of goods and services.
- Participate in scheduled weekly staff meetings.
- Chair the Music Committee with the help of the Vestry Music Liaison.
- Serve as a resource person for parish ministries and with the Vestry as time allows
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Rector and as time allows.
- With the help of the Music Committee, develop fund-raising strategies to help offset costs of special musical events and festival services.
- Encourage parish involvement in Diocesan worship and music events.
- Maintain cooperative collegial relationships with area church musicians and Rutgers Mason Gross School of the Arts.
- Maintain skills through regular practice, performance, score study, and private study.
- Continuing education as time allows.
- Membership in professional organizations, such as the American Guild of Organists, American Choral Directors Association.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR OTHER SOURCES OF INCOME
- Coordinate, perform and lead music for funerals and weddings for a flat fee of $200 per service (right of first refusal given to Music Minister).
- Perform special concerts (4th of July, etc.) on a mutually agreed-upon fee basis.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Outstanding proficiency in organ and piano playing (we are proud to have Richards, Fowkes & Co., two-manual, 24 stop organ).
- Outstanding proficiency in choral direction.
- Ability and experience in coordinating and leading musical programs.
- Experience and competence in working with a variety of age groups and types of music.
- Experience in accompanying musical performances.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization and record-keeping skills.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Bachelor’s degree with a music major.
- Bachelor’s degree in organ or piano performance.
- Experience in coordinating and leading music in a worship context.
- Knowledge of church music and its role in Episcopal worship.
- Experience with choral computing software.
- To read more about our music program, please visit: https://www.christchurchnewbrunswick.org/music
- To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume to the Rev. Joanna Hollis at email@example.com.