St. James is a historic, vibrant, and growing downtown congregation with an excellent Day School in Baton Rouge, serving over 1000 members with an Average Sunday Attendance (ASA) around 300 before COVID. As steps are taken toward reopening and preparing for the upcoming 2021-2022 program year, St. James seeks a dedicated and faithful family ministry leader to envision creative and sustainable ministries for the children, youth, and parents of St. James.
Family Ministry Programs
- Create an engaging and sustainable children’s and youth ministry program through a network of volunteers and helpers in line with the needs of the parish.
- Work with other staff to plan intergenerational opportunities for the whole congregation.
- Seek to keep children and youth at the center of the life of the church and to integrate their ministry with the rest of the congregation.
- Recruit, train, support, and empower adult volunteers in their ministry with children and youth.
- Provide fellowship and study opportunities for parents and families.
- Ensure the church nursery continues to be a place of love and nurture.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate and strengthen the relationship with the Day School.
- Give support and guidance to the Acolyte program.
- Hire and manage all nursery workers.
- Help ensure all Family Ministry staff and volunteers adhere to the diocesan Safeguarding God Children policies.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Keep regular office hours where duties include assisting with congregational communications through written announcements, social media posts, photography, and periodic articles for church publications.
- Perform other duties as may be requested or required within the scope and intent of the Family Ministry Coordinator.
- Serve as an ambassador of St. James within the Baton Rouge community and the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana.
- Partner with other area Episcopal churches.
- Play an active role in the life of the parish.
Education and Experience
Membership in or familiarity with the Episcopal Church; Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university or equivalent; and three or more years of experience in children/youth programming or education preferred.
Skills and Strengths
St. James seeks a compassionate person who is a natural leader and self-starter. A strong sense of discipleship, integrity, maturity, and work ethic are important for this position. This person needs to be comfortable talking and teaching about aspects of faith, particularly faith in the Episcopal tradition. This person must be able to work alongside parents and other adults in the ongoing visioning of our ministries. The ability to delegate and strong organizational skills are vital. This position requires Sunday responsibilities.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- 403b matching retirement plan
- Full medical health coverage for individual
- Paid leave for vacation, sick, and continued education