JOB DESCRIPTION for EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, DUNCAN CONFERENCE CENTER
EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF SOUTHEAST FLORIDA
The James L. Duncan Conference Center, generally referred to as the Duncan Center, is located on South Military Trail in Delray Beach, Florida. Founded in 1985 as a diocesan center for formation, educational and spiritual development, the Duncan Center offers an oasis of peace and gracious hospitality on five acres tucked just east of South Military Trail and only four miles west of Atlantic Ocean beaches. Open year-round, the Duncan Center provides lodging, meals, and facilities to a wide variety of religious, civic, business, and not-for-profit groups. The Duncan Center is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit entity governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the Bishop and the Executive Board of the Episcopal Diocese of Southeast Florida. The Bishop serves as an ex-officio member of the Board. Food service at the Duncan Center is provided in our kitchen and dining room by Joshua’s Café, a not-for-profit partner of the Duncan Center.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for managing and administering all aspects of finance, development, facilities management, coordination with Joshua’s Café, and programming at the Center. The Executive Director is expected to lead the Center into a financially sustainable future, and to provide hospitality to all who come there. This position requires considerable competency in a range of management, operational, financial and leadership functions.
Key responsibilities of the Executive Director include but are not limited to the following:
• Develop a comprehensive budget for site operations, capital projects, marketing, and special projects, for approval by the Board.
• Manage the financial systems to achieve and maintain a balanced budget in cooperation with the Board.
• With the Board of Directors, develop and establish specific, creative and traditional fundraising strategies for the Center.
• Lead and nurture a cohesive, competent, and motivated staff.
• Oversee all aspects of programming to ensure integrity and conformity with the mission and values of the Duncan Center and the Episcopal Diocese of Southeast Florida.
• Ensure a hospitable experience for all who come to the Center, including registration, scheduling of guests/groups, housekeeping, lodging, food services, and hosting duties.
• Increase the visibility of the Duncan Center in the life and ministries of the Diocese of Southeast Florida and the broader Episcopal Church.
• Represent the Duncan Center in the local and regional community and increase its profile. Oversee and manage a professional and creative social media, website and marketing strategy.
• Provide executive leadership to carry out the Duncan Center’s mission and to expand outreach and service, creatively conceiving of growth potential.
The Executive Director will demonstrate the necessary skills and capacity to:
• Serve all people – guests and staff – with respect and address special needs with sensitivity.
• Manage time and priorities well without regular supervision. Be flexible and willing to “go the extra mile” to assist guests.
• Use good judgment while handling confidential matters and in assessing and managing risks of any kind.
• Promote diversity and inclusion among staff and guests.
• Lead and manage staff to foster a cohesive team and community.
• Facilitate spiritual and creative development in people of all ages.
• Utilize current office computer software and social media.
• Communicate effectively with guests, staff, and Board and community members.
• Undergo and successfully pass criminal, financial and sex offender background checks.
• Have or gain familiarity with the policies and procedures of the Episcopal Church.
Applicants will possess five or more years of recent experience in roles with similar responsibilities to this position. A bachelor’s degree or higher is required; please indicate additional degrees or certifications. Ordination is not required. Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references.
Base salary will range from $60,000 to $70,000 plus health insurance and pension. Housing is not included.
Send application, resume, references, and any questions to:
The Reverend Mimi Howard
Chair of the Board of Directors, Duncan Conference Center