The Youth Minister will serve as a part-time employee (avg 12-18 hours per week) who works with the priest to create Christian Formation experiences and provides pastoral care for the youth and parents of children at St. Monica’s Episcopal Church. The Youth Minister will plan, coordinate, collaborate with other ministers who oversee the following areas of ministry: The Youth Group, Sunday School, Acolytes, and Nursery. Director of Youth Ministry will function as a lay pastor to the children and youth, and will partner with and support the parents, as they raise their children as disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Deadline for applications is March 15, 2020 with a start date in April (TBD) 2020.
Youth Program Management
• Serves in the primary lay pastoral role for elementary, middle, and high school youth at St. Monica’s Episcopal Church.
• Will implement the already existing youth group program that meets weekly to develop and enhance social and spiritual relationships, create opportunities for local mission service, and enhance Christian discipleship among our youth.
• The Youth Program will focus on scripture study of our faith in the context of our cultural, with an emphasis on local mission work and Christian ethics.
• Creates and develops fundraising activities to generate funds to support the youth program activities, trips, etc.
Sunday School Program Supervision
• Works with the Rector and the Sunday School Team to utilize approved age-appropriate, Sunday School curriculums for elementary, middle, and high school age youth.
• Oversees the recruitment, training, and scheduling Sunday School teachers while assisting the Sunday School Leadership Team.
• Provides oversight of the youth Christian Education program and reports progress, attendance, and other matters to the Rector and Vestry Education Commission Chairs.
• Meets monthly with a Youth Ministry mentor, assigned by the Rector.
• Meets with the Rector on a periodic basis to evaluate progress of the program and to receive guidance and coaching.
• Maintains a youth program calendar and coordinates all activities with the Parish Administrator.
• Maintains training records (on church property) of all Safeguarding God’s Children requirements, and communicates training needs to all church volunteers and employees regarding Safeguarding God’s Children
• Writes newsletter articles informing the congregation of the progress and activities of all youth programs.
• Prepares mailings to parents as needed to inform of upcoming activities (coordinates with the Parish Administrator)
• Ensures all materials, supplies, etc. for each program (Youth Group, Sunday School, Acolytes, and Nursery) are ordered and maintained in a timely manner.
• Develops, maintains, and utilizes Facebook, the parish website, and other media to keep the youth informed of activities and service opportunities.
• Ensures that all children who attend activities have a valid, signed parental authorization on file for each particular activity.
Financial and Budget
• A general understanding of budgeting and managing expenditures within the set budget is required.
• Develops and supervises a plan for fundraising to support mission trips, youth group activities, and other youth related activities.
• Recruits and trains volunteers for each ministry area.
• Ensures that all volunteers meet diocesan and Safeguarding God’s Children requirements prior to working with the children and ensures all activities of the youth comply. (minimum adult supervision for each activity, etc.)
• Coordinates volunteer efforts with other staff.
Other Duties as assigned