||Christ Episcopal Church in Tuscaloosa, Alabama is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Alabama. It sits in a thriving community near the campus of the University of Alabama and has an active youth presence of around 80. The youth program is active in almost every part of parish life and the congregation seeks someone who is committed to serving all youth and their families.
The Full-Time Director of Youth Ministries, under the supervision of the Rector, is responsible for the care and growth of middle and high school youth of the parish through worship, learning, and community building. They will foster a sense of connection within the program and encourage participation in all aspects of parish life by building relationships with youth, parishioners, and clergy. They will create a nurturing environment for youth to develop, explore and deepen their faith in Jesus Christ and will provide opportunities for youth to share and spread the Love and Kingdom of God with their peers, parish, and community.
Reports to: The Rector
- Spend time nurturing personal faith through worship, prayer, and study to develop and deepen their own relationship with God.
- Be an active member of the parish community by regularly attending worship at Christ Episcopal Church.
- Attend Staff Meetings to update the Staff on the life and activities of the youth community.
- Seek opportunities for professional development and continuing education, including Diocesan Youth Minsters’ meetings.
- Participate in and encourage youth to participate in Diocesan sponsored youth events throughout the year (eg. staff, attend closings, etc.)
- Create and implement a yearly program outline for Youth Group meetings and Sunday School by writing/selecting age appropriate curricula.
- Recruit, Equip, and Train volunteers to support the youth ministry program.
- Provide pastoral care, resources, and clear and consistent communication with youth and families.
- Support and celebrate the youth in extracurricular activities and community life.
- Provide clear communication and expectations to the Part-Time Youth Ministry Interns.
- Work alongside Youth Ministry Interns to conduct established Small Group and Bible Study gatherings.
- Plan and implement weekly, monthly, and yearly youth group activities and special events.
- Serve as a role model to youth by demonstrating respectful and healthy personal values and relationships and show a responsible presence on social media.
- Establish and maintain a physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe and nurturing environment for all youth and their families.
- All other tasks assigned by Rector.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required: bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Relevant experience working with youth and teens in either a paid or volunteer position.
- An understanding and faithful commitment to the Episcopal Church and its traditions and practices.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to commit to at least 2-3 years in this position.
- A desire and passion to develop, deepen and nurture the faith of teens and youth.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Medical insurance and pension benefits
- Mileage and other expense reimbursement