||The Director supports the congregations of this diocese in their efforts to develop their ministries among youth (ages 12-17) and young adults (ages 18-35).
The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries will work with the Bishop, the Canon for Church Growth and Development, and the Director of Christian Formation, to support congregations and groups of the Diocese in their development of youth and young adult ministries, and to coordinate diocesan youth and young adult programs. The Director will serve as a resource for Christian formation programs for youth and young adults. The Director will report directly to the Canon for Church Growth and Development.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop, implement and facilitate a variety of educational and formational events for youth and young adults.
2. Assist congregations in organizing, developing and sustaining programs for groups of people in the youth and young adult age ranges.
3. Establish, maintain and nurture ongoing relationships with the youth and young adult ministers (paid and volunteer) in each congregation.
4. Create and lead regional and diocesan-wide youth and young adult events, in collaboration with lay leaders, to support congregations without youth leaders, bring youth and young adults together in larger groups, provide faith enrichment and pilgrimage opportunities, and support the development of young people as disciples of Jesus.
5. Familiarize self with diverse curricula, resources, new materials, training programs, mission opportunities, and conferences in order to make recommendations to local congregations.
6. Identify and enable the sharing of resources among congregations throughout the diocese.
7. Identify and develop leaders for youth and young adult ministry programs throughout the diocese.
8. Coordinate the youth and young adult leaders throughout the diocese to help them communicate and collaborate, including diocesan and regional gatherings for training, support, community building, and sharing of resources.
9. Work with the campus chaplains to provide resources for college ministry.
10. Provide direct support of diocesan youth activities including summer camp, New Beginnings, Happening, and Altered.
11. Help to maximize the use of the Bishop, members of staff and other resource people in youth and young adult ministry programs.
12. Provide assistance to clergy and seminarians on youth and young adult ministry issues and resource needs.
13. Attend Diocesan Convention.
14. Represent the diocese at youth and young adult ministry events, networks and conferences.
15. Maintain regular contact and the sharing of resources and information in a collaborative way.
16. Provide current information to the diocesan website in the area of youth and young adult ministry and education.
17. Participate in any Diocesan staff trainings, meetings or events as requested by the Bishop and the Canon for Church Growth and Development.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Familiarity with recent approaches to youth and young adult ministry.
2. Strong communication skills, including online and social media skills.
3. Ability to initiate and execute plans individually as well as being able to be part of a team.
4. Demonstrated leadership and administrative skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to work collegially with clergy and laity.
Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
Other certificate programs or training in Christian formation or youth ministry is a plus.
Minimum of five years in youth or young adult ministry on the congregational or diocesan level.
Position is open to lay or ordained persons. Spanish language proficiency is a plus.