All Saints-by-the-Sea is seeking a full-time Director of Music Ministries/Organist or part-time Director of Music Ministries versatile in both modern and traditional sacred music. This position can be held by one person or by two people (distinct Director of Music Ministries and Organist).
All Saints-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church
All Saints-by-the-Sea is an inclusive, welcoming, historic community of faith. At All Saints, we strive to become Christ’s heart and hands for one another and the world through thriving ministries of Worship and Music, Children and Adult Christian Formation, Outreach, and Fellowship. Worship lies at the center of who we are at All Saints-by-the-Sea. Each week as we invite people to receive the bread and wine of Holy Communion we say, “This is the Lord’s Table to which all are lovingly invited.”
Music Program Description
The cornerstone of our Sunday morning worship is our fine choir of both volunteer and paid singers that lead congregational singing and present a broad base of both classical and vernacular repertoire. Under the new Director of Music Ministries, All Saints intends to maintain its tradition of musical excellence while expanding its repertoire to reflect the richness of the Anglican Communion and broader Christian musical traditions.
Each Wednesday evening, we gather for Eventide to worship God in a quiet, reflective, and participatory style. Eventide is ancient church worship come alive in prayer, song and meditation. Eventide worship is eclectic and changes seasonally. Eventide music has included jazz, folk, hymnody, blues, Taizé, and more, and has been primarily based on keyboard and guitar leadership.
All Saints-by-the-Sea has an emerging liturgical ministry with children. We look forward to exploring opportunities to involve this demographic of our congregation in our music ministry.
As a foundational component for our music ministry, we have commissioned a custom Johannus Monarke digital organ scheduled to be installed and blessed for use in 2020. Our 96 rank Monarke will include a 3-manual custom-designed console, 84 speaking stops in six divisions (Great, Swell, Choir, Solo, Antiphonal & Pedal), UHT all-wood keyboards, draw knobs, and AGO pedal board. The extensive audio system includes an antiphonal division and additional speakers to enhance the acoustics in the Nave.
Under the supervision of the Rector, the Director of Music Ministries is responsible for creating and overseeing a high-quality music program. The Director of Music Ministries leads the All Saints congregation at the Sunday services of Holy Eucharist, the Wednesday Eventide service, as well as feast days during the year. The ideal candidate will be an excellent choral conductor with strong interpersonal skills, able to help singers form into strong, healthy teams and community; a skilled musician on both organ and piano; a detail oriented individual; familiar and comfortable with the breadth of Episcopal style and tradition of worship; and will have a sense of musical adventure and creativity. In addition to providing musical leadership of the first rank, the Director of Music Ministries will be expected to work pastorally with the congregation, choirs and collegially as a team member with the rector and other clergy, lay staff and volunteers.
The Director of Music Ministries will be part of a team who will transition the congregation from temporary worship space back onto our sanctuary, which is currently undergoing seismic strengthening.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Plans, organizes, executes and evaluates the total worship and music ministries at All Saints
• Works collaboratively with the Rector and church staff to develop seasonal liturgies
• Recruits and develops new volunteer choir members and instrumentalists
• Directs the Choir of professionals and volunteers, including scheduling, recruiting, auditioning, planning and conducting rehearsals and performance (both liturgical and non-liturgical)
• Plays organ and piano at worship services, including practice and preparation; alternatively, the organist position could be filled by a separate person
• Develops relationships with and listens to feedback from the broader parish community
• Collaboratively plans, directs and oversees coordination of the weekly Eventide worship
• Assigns and supervises accompaniment, organist, and choral director responsibilities to other staff, subcontractors, substitutes as needed
• Coordinates music for special events
• Creates and administers fiscal budget of music department
• Manages the maintenance and care of all music supplies, equipment, and instruments
• Works with the Rector and parishioners to explore the development of new programs to increase active musical participation by the congregation
• Supplies appropriate music for weddings, funerals, and events for outside groups, at additional remuneration
• Experience as a Music Director/Church Choral Director for at least 3-5 years preferred
• Excellent musicianship, conducting, and vocal pedagogy skills
• Ability to recruit, develop and motivate a team of diverse and dedicated singers and instrumentalists, both professionals and volunteers
• Knowledge of the Episcopal Church and its liturgy preferred