- Oversee weekly rehearsals of the cathedral’s several choirs, promoting musical excellence through broadening the base of volunteer participation and selection of the highest quality of music.
- Collaborate with the canon precentor to select music for Sunday liturgies and special liturgical occasions.
- Prepare and point collects for the weekly liturgies and rehearse sung parts with clergy for various services.
- Develop a broad musical repertoire that reflects the diversity of Anglican choral traditions for weekly cathedral worship, using the position as an opportunity to teach communicants, musicians, and community members about those traditions.
- Oversee the work of the music administrator as it relates to the monthly concert series Music at Noon, evening concerts, coordination of rehearsals, contracts with special music ensembles, and the eventual organization of the music department library.
- Offer guidance and support to musicians for the 6:00 p.m. Wilderness service.
- Develop a sustainable financial model for the existing music administrator position, fueled in part by benefactors external to Saint John’s.
- Work closely with the director of communications to identify key events to highlight through external advertisement.
- Offer creative musical events that open the cathedral to people who are unfamiliar with Saint John’s Cathedral and the Episcopal Church.
- Model and cultivate a culture of collaboration and joy in the music program and in the community at large.