||Title: St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Objectives: Support and lead the ongoing children and youth ministries at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral by building deep and meaningful relationships, modeling a Christ-like lifestyle and faith, assisting and leading ministry events, aiding in the transformative education of youth in accordance with the teachings and rites of the Episcopal Church, and becoming actively involved in the life of St. Andrew’s.
• A Christian committed to Christ and the church as the Body of Christ
• A respect and appreciation for the Episcopal Church’s expression of faith
• An enthusiastic desire to engage with and learn from young people and parents alike
• Ability to help parents determine spiritual goals for their students
• Ability to recruit and raise up leaders
• Ability to manage time, complete assignments, and initiate new and creative ideas
• A valid driver’s license Responsibilities:
1. Children’s Programming at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
• Recruit and coordinate volunteers to help facilitate all ministry activities with children (Sunday mornings, Sunday afternoons, Wednesday evenings, special events, ect.)
• In cooperation with the current lead Catechists for the Catechist of the Good Shepherd, ensure that the atriums are in order, and the Catechists have all supplies needed for Sunday mornings.
• Complete training for the Catechist program to ensure that coordination with the Catechists will be cohesive.
• Coordinate and recruit teams to provide activities during special events in the life of the church as related to children (Third Grade Bible presentations, Easter Egg Hunt, Epiphany pageant etc.)
• Coordinate and recruit a team of volunteers for the yearly Vacation Bible School program.
• In Collaboration with the Office Manager, ensure that the nursery is provided with staff and volunteers during Sunday school, worship, and other church-wide activities or meetings.
• Maintain the nursery space with appropriate toys and formation materials.
• Coordinate, schedule, train volunteers, and provide formation materials for the Children’s Chapel on Sunday mornings.
2. Episcopal Youth Community (EYC) of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
• Recruit and empower adult volunteers to fully participate in the life of our youth program.
• Lead and nurture 6th – 12th grade youth in faith formation and active participation in parish life
• Help prepare adult leaders for Sunday morning youth Christian Education class
• Plan and implement regularly-scheduled activities for the EYC throughout the fall and spring semesters (morning Bible Study, and an evening activity, or equivalent)
• Plan and implement activities during the summer
• Coordinate occasional activities with other groups within St. Andrew’s (Outreach, Pastoral Care, etc.), and other youth groups in the Central Convocation, as required
• Maintain regular communication through social electronic media with EYC members and their parents
• Prepare EYC articles for church newsletter
3. The Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi
• Serve as the contact person for Diocesan youth events (DOY)
• Encourage youth participation and St. Andrew’s representation in DOY events
• Work with the Diocesan Minister for Children and Youth to encourage participation in all Diocesan events
4. Administrative and Other Duties
• Proactively identify and welcome children and youth (including parents) who are new or repeat visitors at Sunday worship. Follow up with any requests made through the Newcomer’s ministry team.
• Build and maintain connections with children, youth, parents, and volunteers by being present during all church-wide activities.
• Build and maintain relationship with Canon for Lifelong Formation and Mission regarding all children and youth activities
• Attend the weekly staff meeting or the weekly formation meeting
• Meet with the Children and Youth Councils on a regular basis
• Work with the Canon for Lifelong Formation and Mission to submit an annual budget for children and youth activities
• Ensure that the church complies with its Safe Church policy and procedures by making sure all volunteers are trained; maintaining records; recruiting the necessary volunteers for all activities; be knowledgeable of and comply with all policies regarding contact with children and youth as established by the Diocese of Mississippi and St. Andrew’s Episcopal Cathedral
Note: A full background check and completion of Safeguarding training is required prior to employment.