||St. James Cathedral, founded in 1834 and the oldest Episcopal church in Chicago, is a vibrant, diverse, multi-cultural, urban church located in the dynamic River North area of downtown Chicago, just off Michigan Avenue. We are a growing congregation, including the rapid development of our children and youth ministries
We are looking a Director of Children & Youth Ministry (Director) who can develop this ministry with innovation and vision: to be an integral part of a staff team, collaborating closely with the Dean and clergy, Director of Music, other staff, volunteers, and parents. The goal is to meet the needs of the community, which requires flexibility, creativity, and knowledge of the developmental and spiritual needs of young people and their families.
The Director is responsible for two key formation programs:
- Youth and family ministry (6th – 12th grade)
- Children and family ministry (newborn – 5th grade)
The Director will oversee the Christian formation program for youth, children, and families from newborn through 12thgrade throughout the program year (September – June).
The Director will also have a role in leadership of Summer in the City – a two week summer day camp for children ages 8 to 13.
St. James Cathedral is looking for a leader who has a deep commitment to working with young people and their families. The ideal candidate will support the children and youth in their journey towards a deeper relationship with God, the church, the community, and each other. With the current growth of this ministry, we are keen to appoint someone who demonstrates vision and creativity.
This is a full-time position with some flexibility but including Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings.
Duties and Responsibilities for Children & Youth Ministry
Coordinate weekly Sunday morning sessions for children and youth Sunday school groups
- Coordinate with other members of staff regarding youth and children’s engagement with the Sunday, 9:00 a.m. family worship service
- Ensure appropriate curriculum to encourage learning in a creative and supportive environment for the Sunday, 10:00 a.m. Sunday school
- Recruit, train, and provide support for volunteer workers
- Ensure all participants are kept fully informed through clear communication
- Coordinate with other program leaders and members of staff about Sunday morning activities
- Ensure that all events occur with appropriate adult supervision (Keeping God’s People Safe)
Develop opportunities for youth and children to actively engage with worship
- Encourage opportunities for youth and children to serve as acolytes, readers, and greeters within the worship of the church
- Coordinate with ministry leaders and staff to ensure that all youth and children have opportunities to engage in age- appropriate worship
- Encourage and coordinate youth and children leadership and involvement in seasonal worship opportunities, including the Christmas Pageant and Holy Week.
Develop and establish events occurring at times other than Sunday mornings
- Coordinate with volunteers and staff to develop events on and off campus (e.g. parties, retreats, fund-raising activities, social events, mission-based action) to encourage fellowship for the youth and children and their families
- Work closely with Director of Music to ensure that Wednesday evening chorister events and other activities are well organized and in a timely manner
- Coordinate with staff and volunteers to enable intergenerational events
- Ensure that there are parish volunteers to lead and support all youth groups and Sunday School groups
- Provide training and resources for the volunteers
- Hold regular meetings with the volunteers to support their work and to grow a team in fellowship
- Work with the cathedral staff to coordinate the recruitment, training, and management of volunteers for all ages
Develop and facilitate service opportunities for youth within and outside the church
- Coordinate youth participation in outreach ministries, including the monthly meals ministry, with goal of having fun, meaningful community building, faith formation, and for youth to take part in leadership roles
Provide pastoral care to youth, families, and volunteers
- Provide consistent support for youth, children, and their families – including in times of personal or family crisis
- Communicate with staff about pastoral sensitivities in the lives of individuals / families
- Establish and maintain healthy, pastoral relationships with the youth and children in partnership with the clergy
- Build relationships with parents and encourage their engagement with the ministry where appropriate
- Manage Children & Youth Ministry budget
- Participate in Sunday, 9:00 a.m. worship
- Collaborate with other staff to create and distribute communications
- A personal Christian faith with desire to learn and grow
- Ability to connect with young people and their parents and gurdians
- Strong communication and administrative skills
- A collaborator with a capacity for strategic thinking
- Experience in teaching or in ministry required
- Open to lay or ordained candidates
Learn more about St. James Episcopal Cathedral: www.saintjamescathedral.org
Qualified applicants are invited to send their resume and cover letter to:
St. James Cathedral
65 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL, 60611