The Dean of the Cathedral is the spiritual and administrative leader of the Cathedral and is tasked with providing, exemplifying, and carrying out the visionary leadership for the Cathedral regarding all aspects spiritual, ministerial, and administrative.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Articulate, preach, teach, interpret, uphold, exemplify, shape, and develop the stated vision of the Cathedral so that it becomes the focal point for parishioners.
- Lead St. John’s Cathedral as pastor, priest, mentor, and teacher sharing in the councils of this congregation and of the whole church, and in communion with the Bishop of the Diocese of the Rio Grande (DRG).
• Work with the Vestry and other lay leaders to maintain the regular schedule of worship services and preaching.
• Preach and celebrate in rotation with other Clergy; oversee and officiate at other functions such as funerals and marriages; and compose a piece for the Cathedral News on a rotating basis with the other Clergy.
• Provide baptismal and marriage counseling; meet individuals for pastoral care including spiritual direction, spiritual counseling, and confessions; and visit and take the sacraments to parishioners who are homebound or hospitalized.
• Oversee the ongoing administrative duties, including the supervision of all parish staff. Hire, call, and build the Cathedral staff (paid or unpaid, clergy or lay) to develop programs or take on administrative responsibilities to do the work of leading the vision of the Cathedral.
• Implement Safe Church policies and ensure that all parish staff participate in the training.
• In conjunction with the Canon for Stewardship and Outreach, raise the financial resources needed to carry out the vision of the Cathedral. Help parishioners understand the biblical use of money, articulate a theology of stewardship, and challenge parishioners to give.
• Maintain spiritual accountability for the health and strength of the Cathedral to the Bishop.
• Work not only in this congregation, but also on behalf of the Diocese of the Rio Grande, the Church at large, and the community.
• Support the Vestry and its role and responsibilities.
• Implement and maintain basic, healthy financial practices as outlined in the Cathedral Business Methods to promote the financial health of the Cathedral.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
• Strong leadership skills.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• Exemplify strong stewardship practices.
• Ability to multi-task many projects.
• Flexibility to job demands.
• Listen and lead with compassion.