||St Luke’s Episcopal Church and School Choral Music Director Job Description
The Choral Music Director at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and School is a collaborative/joint position combining leadership and oversight of the choral music programs at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and St. Luke’s Episcopal School. The St. Luke’s Choral Music Director will report directly to both the Rector of the Church and the Headmaster of the School. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Act as an educational leader for students participating in academic (school-day) and extracurricular activities at St. Luke’s Middle and Upper Divisions (grades 6 thru 12).
- Lead and engage the Church congregation through the musical worship experience, including providing inspiring and motivational music during Sunday worship services as well as other special services.
- Act as a liaison for the School among students, administrators, faculty parent booster groups and parishioners of the Church.
- Coordinate and facilitate internal recruiting activities and develop opportunities for involvement in the music programs on both School campuses (grades PK – 12), as well as among the Church’s children, youth, and adult parishioners.
- Set rehearsal and performance schedules (Fall/Spring School concerts, community performances, etc.) as well as weekly Church choir rehearsals for Sunday morning services.
- Teach, coach and mentor interested students and church members with respect to their musical talents.
- Collaborate with colleagues and local community musicians for special events and arts-related functions within the School and Church
- Coordinate and facilitate concerts and other public exhibitions in the city, county, and state-wide arts functions (including competitions/adjudications.)
- Collaborate with the Church Rector in preparation for Sunday Church Services and special services (Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Headmaster of the School and the Rector.
The St. Luke’s Choral Music Director must be able to work effectively with adults, teens, and children and is required to be able to read music, be conversant in choral, vocal, and conducting techniques, and have familiarity with musical instruments (i.e. piano/organ).