In response to the church’s call to seek to transform unjust societal structures the missioner seeks to engage parishioners of the Cathedral, Episcopalians of the Diocese of WNC, as well as members of the wider community of Asheville/Buncombe County in public dialogue, advocacy, and reconciliation initiatives related to the role of race, economic, and intercultural relations.This is a full-time, exempt position with salary/benefits commensurate with background and experience. To apply, email cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:firstname.lastname@example.org
This position reports directly to the Dean of the Cathedral.
Racial and Economic Reconciliation (50% of position)
• Works with clergy and lay persons in the Cathedral to facilitate the strengthening and growth of networks within and outside the Church that address interpersonal, cultural, and structural issues of racism. This includes identifying resources where they occur; building connections between, and supporting, those ministries; partnering with members of the Cathedral in lifelong formation; working with the Cathedral Koinonia Steering Committee; building relationships with ecumenical, interreligious, and nonsectarian partners, to integrate this work and witness into the wider community; and participate in the preaching responsibilities at the Cathedral.
• Serves as a public representative of the Dean and The Cathedral of All Souls on issues related to racial, ethnic, cultural, and economic reconciliation; builds relationships with key and emerging leaders in the Church and wider community, members of governing bodies and other stakeholders shaping the Church’s witness for racial and economic equity.
Kairos West Community Center: (50% of position)
Kairos West Community Center is a sacred space in a secular world, accessible to all and set apart for community building and for the empowerment of emerging leadership through art, liturgy, and social service. We seek to provide a space for radical hospitality. The space at 610 Haywood Rd is open daily from 9 am – 4pm and is available for organizations or groups to use, free of charge, for community capacity building events or meetings.
• To build the capacity of the center through networking, organizing and creating and maintaining relationships with key stakeholder.
• To utilize the functions of Asset Based Community Development in working with emerging leaders and members of the community.
• To maintain the calendar for Kairos West and assist those who use the space.
• To build the network of hosts and volunteers and support their leadership.
• To build the capacity of the center by further developing the diversity of the budget through fundraising and grant writing.
• To be present onsite throughout the week to pastor to the needs of Kairos West community members.
• Other duties for this position may evolve as self-empowerment networks emerge.
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities in racial and economic reconciliation work gained through at least 5 years of increasingly challenging experience which may be supplemented by academic work and training in related fields.
• The ability to use existing and/or build, grow, and sustain new networks that increase the effectiveness and reach of this work.
• Strong and persuasive written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to produce a wide range of skill-building tools in various existing and emerging communicating formats that inspire, resource and support Church members and others to take action.
• A working knowledge of how the polity of the Church intersects with economic development, poverty alleviation and empowerment in religious and sectarian contexts.
The Missioner can expect from the Cathedral of All Souls:
• Support and collaboration from different ministries and staff at the Cathedral.
• Office space, supplies and support.
• An annual evaluation and goal-setting time with the Dean.
• A ministry budget for activities and events.
• A vibrant work environment in a compassionate, healthy and growing church.