|Canon to the Ordinary for Evangelism and Discipleship|
|Name of church or organization|
|The Episcopal Diocese of San Diego|
|San Diego, CA|
|The Canon to the Ordinary for Evangelism and Discipleship assists congregations throughout the diocese in identifying and accomplishing the mission of the church, teaching evangelism, providing resources for Episcopalians to grow in discipleship, helping congregations engage more fully in their communities, and discerning new mission opportunities. Consulting with vestries, congregations, and diocesan groups, the Canon will equip and empower Episcopalians in the Diocese of San Diego to demonstrate the transforming power of the love of Christ to all people in their churches and communities. The Canon will serve as a member of diocesan Executive Staff, reporting to the Bishop, and will serve as staff liaison to diocesan groups, including assisting in developing and implementing the diocesan strategic plan. The Canon will oversee a diocesan staff team of missioners in particular areas, and will inspire congregations with creative ways to develop
disciples and equip them to share their faith stories with others.Responsibilities
• Regularly visits congregations throughout the diocese to further the diocesan vision of Fearless Love, preaching, presiding, and conducting congregational forums and workshops.
• Consults with vestries, congregations, and diocesan groups on evangelism, discipleship, and church growth, including conducting vestry workshops, diocesan forums, and other opportunities.
• Coordinates diocesan Leadership Academy and assists in developing other opportunities to support and strengthen the Episcopal Church’s mission.
• Identifies opportunities for planting new churches and new worshiping communities within existing churches; recruits, trains, and support leaders for these congregations; and provides ongoing support and oversight.
• Strengthens existing Latino and Asian congregations and expands the diocese’s outreach to these and other groups who are currently underrepresented in the Episcopal Church who are part of the San Diego area’s increasingly diverse population.
• Offers online, in-person, and written resources to congregations to help grow disciples of all ages, overseeing missioners in children’s, youth, young adult and campus ministries, and supporting adult Christian formation, with special attention to the Diocesan Year of Discipleship in 2020.
• Offers training and events to teach and support evangelism, sharing the good news of Christ with others, with special attention to the Diocesan Year of Evangelism in 2021.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
Other Skills That Will Be A Plus:
|Type of commitment|
|Does this job pay?|
|Send cover letter, resume, and OTM profile to the bishop’s executive assistant, Keren
Mondaca, at email@example.com. Subject: CTO for Evangelism & Discipleship.
|Link to the job posting or application|