||The primary focus of the Canon for Black Ministry is to connect Black Episcopalians around the Diocese through worship, formation, and fellowship.
- Work on intergenerational opportunities for ministry, collaborating with the Union of Black Episcopalians, Summer Camp, and other committees and structures of the Diocese
- Assist in identifying blind spots in systems and processes that may foster exclusion and division.
- Oversee the program budget for Black Ministry and work with allies toward expansion of the budget via grants and donations.
- Work with diocesan staff to implement the demographic survey required by the Episcopal Church once the parameters for reporting are set.
- Attend 2 Diocesan Staff meetings per month
- Establish a relationship with TEC Office of African Descent Ministries
- Build connections with historically Black churches in Arizona, extending invitations for joint ministries
- Invite Black Arizonans to discover the Episcopal Church
The Canon for Black ministry is a quarter-time position created by a budget amendment at the 2022 Diocesan Convention. Clergy applicants could combine it with a parochial cure, of which several are available. For lay applicants, this could be a stand-alone position or combined with other vocational work.