||St John’s Episcopal Church is an historic, well-resourced, parish in the capital city of Alabama. We have roughly 900 active members, and an average weekend attendance (pre-pandemic) of around 250 people. We are renowned for our strong ministries of outreach, preaching, adult formation, and music. We enjoy a prominent position in the heart of the city, and are strategically located on the Civil Rights Trail.
Montgomery is a jewel of the South and recently placed 8th in Forbes’ list of most affordable cities in the US. St John’s is a fruitful and fulfilling place to serve in Christian ministry.
As we emerge from the Pandemic, our most pressing need is to revitalize our ministry to youth and young adults. Our membership includes approximately 50 people in grades 6 through 12, but those actively involved are far fewer. Millennials and Gen Z are underrepresented in the parish.
The Rector is now seeking to appoint a full-time clergy colleague to spearhead this ministry.
Additionally, the Associate Rector will play an active role in the full range of clergy liturgical and pastoral duties. As such, this would be a wonderful opportunity for either a newly ordained priest or a seasoned specialist.
Core Ministerial Gifts
- A gifted discipler and evangelist of teenagers and young adults.
- A creative liturgist and preacher, especially in intergenerational settings.
- A relational leader of lay ministers, with the ability to motivate and to build teams.
Essential Personal Qualities
- Vibrant and attractive spirituality.
- Commitment to growth in prayerful self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
- Commitment to collegiality and collaborative ministry.
- Enthusiasm, imagination, and an innovative spirit.
- Strong skills in personal interaction, especially with children and young adults.
- Familiarity with Millennial and Gen Z cultures.
- Confidence in personal convictions, but sensitivity to those of others.
- Respect for all integrities within Anglicanism.
- Competent in digital platforms, including social media.
Remuneration and conditions of work
- The compensation package is generous, and includes salary, housing allowance, health insurance, and pension.
- This is a full-time position, to start as soon as is feasible.
- The Associate Rector for Youth and Young Adults will enjoy a personal office, administrative support, and a professional allowance.
Please contact the Rector, The Rev. Dr. Duncan Johnston (334 262 1937 or email@example.com) for more details or to apply.