||Who we are
St. John’s Norwood in Bethesda – Chevy Chase, MD is a vibrant, multi-generational, progressive, open and affirming Episcopal Church with an average Sunday attendance of 350. Our ministry revolves around four core commitments: relevant worship, education, building authentic community, and making a difference both within our church community as well as through our many active social justice ministries in the community and world. Racial equity is a subject that matters a lot to us, and we are committed to the journey of dismantling systemic racism in all its forms even as we continue to grow in our own consciousness around implicit bias, and how we ourselves have contributed to the problem.
What we are looking for
We are seeking to hire a recently ordained, highly motivated, passionate, creative and down-to-earth Assistant Rector who will come along side us in ministry and use their unique gifts and talents to deepen our church community in discipleship and service, as well as to grow in their own ministry and experience in a large and healthy parish. Diversity candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. In addition to serving the church through the full spectrum of priestly duties, the Assistant Rector will give special focus to the Adult Christian Formation aspect of our church community by working with the Rector to design a clear path of discipleship for St. John’s adult parishioners which nurtures and deepens their faith through an engaging, year-round formation program.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assist and support the Rector and lay leaders, especially in the following areas:
- Liturgy and worship: Including officiating and celebrating the Eucharist at Sunday and midweek services as well as performing baptisms, weddings, and funerals.
- Preaching: Prepare and preach down-to-earth and relevant sermons on an average of once per month.
- Christian/Spiritual Formation and Education: Work closely with the rector to design and implement a creative and engaging year-round Christian Formation program that meets St. John’s parishioners wherever they may be in the various stages of discipleship with the aim of deepening their faith, and helping them navigate the world as prayerful, responsible, and socially engaged followers of Christ.
- Pastoral Care and Counseling: Including sharing with the rector and lay pastoral care team in conducting visits to the sick and home bound.
- Administrative responsibilities: Including writing occasional articles for our weekly newsletter, and attending monthly vestry meetings.
- An ordained Episcopal priest (or newly ordained deacon with set ordination date for priesthood)
- A value for, and commitment to diversity
- A commitment to racial equity and social justice
- A gift and passion for teaching
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A willingness to learn and be mentored including in the area of preaching
- Self motivated and the ability to work creatively and collaboratively as part of the clergy and staff team
- Three year commitment is expected
Competitive compensation level in keeping with diocesan guidelines including full benefits, housing allowance, vacation and continuing education