[Episcopal Public Policy Network policy alert] Over the past two weeks, U.S. senators have worked transparently and diligently on bipartisan legislation to improve health care for Americans. Yet now, Senate leaders are risking undermining progress in their own bipartisan reform process with a new attempt to repeal health care for tens of millions of Americans. The legislation, known as the Graham-Cassidy bill would reduce the scale and impact of Medicaid and make it harder for millions of Americans to access affordable health care. The Graham-Cassidy bill lacks the benefits of informed public hearings with experts and thoughtful bipartisan compromises, and does not address the concerns highlighted in earlier ACA repeal efforts.
Call the Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and urge your senators to oppose Graham-Cassidy!
Sample Call Script:
- “Hello, my name is ___. I am your constituent, a person of faith, an Episcopalian, and I am calling to urge Senator ___ tooppose the Graham-Cassidy bill which would devastate millions Americans.
- A reform of this magnitude needs bipartisan fixes and transparent evaluation. I’m concerned that a bill this important would be considered when it is not public and has not had serious vetting, analysis, and comment from the people it will impact.
- Over the past months, our nation has suffered from the division, fear, and confusion created by rushed consideration of secret partisan proposals on health care.
- I have been encouraged by the recent bipartisan agreement to secure the future of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and hearings and negotiations on practical steps to stabilize the affordability of health insurance for example, and I urge the Senator to focus on supporting these types of measures.
- I am praying for you, and I hope you will oppose the Graham-Cassidy bill.